DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: Work involves responsibility for the safe transportation of school children on an assigned bus route, as well as the performance of a variety of skilled tasks in the maintenance of buildings and grounds. Maintenance duties include assisting with alterations and maintenance of buildings, grounds, water, power, heating, ventilating, electrical equipment, automotive vehicles, as well as carpentry and cleaning tasks. Work is performed under general supervision and may involve overseeing the work of others. Performs related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative only)
- Operates school bus on a regular schedule or on special occasions;
- Checks the operating condition of the bus before starting on a trip, including checking and filling fuel;
- Installs tachometer recording disc;
- Records beginning and finishing mileage reading;
- Reports mechanical defects, and repairs when possible;
- Instructs or informs children about safety practices when entering and leaving bus and participates in emergency drills;
- Maintains orderly conduct of children on bus;
- Cleans interior and exterior of the assigned vehicle;
- Performs a wide variety of maintenance tasks relative to operation, maintenance and alteration of buildings, grounds, parking areas, sewer, water, power, heating, ventilating, air-conditioning and other utility plants, automotive equipment; electrical equipment and tools, etc.;
- Performs minor carpentry work in the repair of windows, doors, walls, furniture, etc.;
- Performs minor electrical and plumbing repairs and installations;
- Performs interior and exterior painting;
- Performs routine preventive maintenance of equipment and vehicles and makes minor mechanical repairs;
- Uses, maintains and repairs common hand or power-operated machines and tools;
- Participates in removal of snow and ice, sanding icy sidewalks and parking areas, etc.;
- Operates trucks, construction equipment, mowers, and other automotive equipment, as needed;
- Moves furniture, equipment and supplies;
- Prepares and maintains records and reports as needed;
- May assist with inventory maintenance;
- May perform other common maintenance and custodial duties;
- Performs a variety of related activities as required.
Typical Work Activities are intended only as illustrations of possible types of work that might be appropriately assigned to an incumbent of this title. Work activities that do not appear above are not excluded as appropriate work assignments, as long as they can be reasonably understood to be within the logical limits of the job.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Good knowledge of the operation of a bus and of the safety practices and traffic laws and regulations; good knowledge of buildings and grounds maintenance and repair practices; good knowledge of cleaning methods, materials and equipment; working knowledge of the practices and techniques of one or more of the standard trades; ability to follow oral and written directions; mechanical aptitude; dependability; initiative; manual dexterity; thoroughness; tact and courtesy.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Either
- Graduation from high school or possession of a comparable diploma and two (2) years full-time paid work experience in general building construction, maintenance work, or a related field, involving use of standard trades skills such as carpentry, plumbing and electrical; or
- Four (4) years full-time paid work experience in general building construction, maintenance work, or a related field, involving use of standard trades skills such as carpentry, plumbing and electrical; or; or
- An equivalent combination of training and experience as indicated in a) and b) above.
- Must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age at time of appointment.
- Eligibility for the appropriate level New York State Drivers License at the time of application; possession of the appropriate level New York State Drivers License at time of appointment.
- Must satisfy the requirements for School Bus Driver set forth in the Rules and Regulations of the New York State Commissioners of Education and Motor Vehicles.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT FOR APPOINTMENT IN SCHOOL DISTRICTS:
In accordance with the Safe Schools Against Violence in Education (SAVE) legislation, Chapter 180 of the Laws of 2000, and by the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education, candidates for appointment in school districts must obtain clearance for employment from the State Education Department prior to employment based upon a fingerprint and criminal history background check.
Non-Competitive Class [Garrison School District]