DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: Work involves responsibility for enforcement of New York State Agriculture and Markets Law Article 16 and related local laws, rules and regulations. Responsibilities include inspection, testing, and research to ensure adherence and conformity to all applicable state and local Consumer Protection laws and codes. Responsibilities extend to ensuring adherence to consumer protection laws and regulations within the authority of Putnam County, both current as well as any and all applicable laws and regulations that may be adopted in the future. These include, but are not limited to, the Item Pricing law and Precious Metal Dealers Law. Work is performed under general supervision of the Director of Consumer Affairs/Weights and Measures/Trades Licensing. Supervision is not a responsibility of this position. Performs related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative only)
- Advises and participates in investigations, programs and projects;
- Inspects and tests all weighing and measuring devices, including but not limited to petroleum pumps, scales, vehicle tank meters, and any other device used commercially which requires testing in accordance with New York State Agriculture and Markets Law Article 16;
- Issues violations and warnings to retailers for violation of Agriculture and Markets Law, County Law, and/or any other statutes within the authority of the Department of Consumer Affairs/Weights and Measures/Trades Licensing;
- Investigates consumer complaints that are pertinent to the responsibilities of the position, determines correct course of action, and follows through to resolution;
- Seals or condemns all inspected devices, as may be required;
- Inspects, samples and tests petroleum products to determine compliance with all fuel octane labeling requirements, in accordance with provisions of applicable sections of New York State Agriculture and Markets Law Article 16;
- Conducts periodic inspections of all retail stores for item pricing and scanner accuracy, as per local law;
- Processes all requests for Waiver of Item Pricing, as defined by local law;
- Processes all requests for licensing as Precious Metal Dealer, as defined by local law;
- Prepares reports relating to inspections, testing or other programs, as required;
- Performs a variety of related activities as required.
Typical Work Activities are intended only as illustrations of possible types of work that might be appropriately assigned to an incumbent of this title. Work activities that do not appear above are not excluded as appropriate work assignments, as long as they can be reasonably understood to be within the logical limits of the job.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Good knowledge of the provisions of state and local Consumer Protection laws and codes, including New York State Agriculture and Markets Law and applicable Putnam County laws, rules and regulations; good knowledge of the principles and practices involved in the operation of a County Consumer Affairs/Weights and Measures Office; good knowledge of the principles and methods of field investigation; ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; good judgment; tact and courtesy.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Either
- Associates degree in engineering science, electrical technology, mathematics or related technical field and two (2) years of experience in either field enforcement of Weights & Measures law, repair or inspection of weights or measuring devices, package weighing and control, or laboratory or related work requiring precision weighing and measuring; or
- Graduation from high school or possession of a comparable diploma and four (4) years of experience in either field enforcement of Weights & Measures law, repair or inspection of weights or measuring devices, package weighing and control, or laboratory or related work requiring precision weighing and measuring; or
- An equivalent combination of training and experience as described in a) and b) above.
NOTE: Your degree must have been awarded by a college or university accredited by a regional, national, or specialized agency recognized as an accrediting agency by the U.S. Department of Education/U.S. Secretary of Education.
- Access to transportation is required to perform field work responsibilities in a timely and efficient manner.
- Possession of a current valid New York State Driver license is required at the time of appointment to this position and throughout the term of employment in this position.
2/88; 9/97; 4/09; 12/13