DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: Work involves responsibility for cleaning and maintenance of school buildings. Duties include cleaning activities, as well as semi-skilled repair and maintenance tasks. Work is performed under the supervision a Head Custodian or school administrator. A Custodian may oversee the work of other cleaning and/or maintenance employees, while fully participating in the work. In the absence of the supervisor, the Custodian may assume responsibility for the building. Performs related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative only)
- Performs a variety of cleaning activities including but not limited to cleaning and washing walls, chalkboards, lockers, hallways, windows, lavatories and lavatory fixtures, kitchens and kitchen equipment, cleaning, dusting and waxing furniture;
- Maintains floors by dust mopping, wet mopping, stripping, vacuuming, waxing, buffing and refinishing all types of floor surfaces;
- Empties waste baskets and disposes of rubbish;
- Receives, distributes, replaces and/or refills building cleaning supplies, light bulbs, paper towels, soap, etc.;
- Performs set up and clean up for special events, meetings, displays, etc.
- Performs a variety of semi-skilled carpentry, plumbing, electrical and other building maintenance tasks, such as minor repairs to lockers, window shades, doors, windows, toilets and hardware;
- Assists with making operational checks of, and simple cleaning and/or maintenance of, heating systems, cooling systems, etc.;
- Assists with snow and ice removal and other tasks to maintain safe and clean walkways, driveways and other areas around school buildings;
- Receives and responds to requests and complaints from school administrators, teachers, and other school employees;
- Assists with periodic inspections and assessment of building custodial and maintenance activities;
- Assists with maintaining security at school entrances and exits, in accordance with all applicable rules and regulations;
- Keeps accurate records and makes simple reports as required;
- May open school building, raise the flag, and lock school building;
- May assist in assigning cleaners, custodial workers, and/or laborers to various tasks and oversee their work;
- Performs a variety of related activities as required.
Typical Work Activities are intended only as illustrations of possible types of work that might be appropriately assigned to an incumbent of this title. Work activities that do not appear above are not excluded as appropriate work assignments, as long as they can be reasonably understood to be within the logical limits of the job.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, ABILITIES, SKILLS AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Good knowledge of building cleaning equipment and practices; Good knowledge of building operations and simple building maintenance; ability to perform cleaning and minor maintenance tasks; ability to supervise the work of others; dependability; good judgment.
- Graduation from high school; or
- One (1) year of full-time paid work experience in building maintenance and/or building cleaning; or
- An equivalent combination of education and experience as indicated in a) and b) above.
Two (2) years of full-time experience as a Custodial Worker
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT FOR APPOINTMENT IN SCHOOL DISTRICTS:
In accordance with the Safe Schools Against Violence in Education (SAVE) legislation, Chapter 180 of the Laws of 2000, and by the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education, candidates for appointment in school districts must obtain clearance for employment from the State Education Department prior to employment based upon a fingerprint and criminal history background check.
10/97; 4/07; 1/09; 3/21; 3/22; 3/23