DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: The work involves responsibility for serving as a liaison between improvement and/or special districts such as water, sewer, park, lighting, parking areas, etc. and the Town Board. The incumbent of this position is also responsible for performing a variety of related administrative tasks, which may include record-keeping, reporting, budget preparation, bid processes, grant applications and administration, purchasing and similar. Work is performed under the general direction of the Town Board, requiring considerable exercise of independent judgment in carrying out details of the work. Supervision may be exercised over the work of subordinate staff. Performs related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative only)
- Acts as liaison between Town Board and improvement districts in all matters concerning the day-to-day operation and maintenance of each district or facility;
- Advises the Town Supervisor and Town Board in a timely manner of extraordinary purchases of supplies, materials or outside contract services, after conferring with facilities operators or supervisors and/or the Town Engineer,;
- Confers with the Town Supervisor, facilities operators or supervisors, the Town Engineer and/or the Town Accountant as needed to resolve any financial problems associated with any improvement district or facility;
- Oversees the preparation of billings for use charges and assessments issued to each person or firm served by each district;
- Oversees the timely compilation and submission of operating statistics and formal activities reports required by the Federal, State, County and Municipal regulatory agencies;
- Oversees the maintenance and inventory records of materials, supplies and equipment required for the operation and maintenance of the facilities of each improvement district and railroad station parking lot;
- Oversees the installation, reading and repair of water meters, sewer meters and parking meters;
- Prepares annual written budget request for each improvement district;
- Prepares and, upon approval of the Town Board, issues requisitions for the supplies, materials and services and maintains detailed records of such requisition, etc.;
- Prepares written monthly reports in a format approved by the Town Board on the operation and maintenance of the facilities of each district and the railroad station parking lot and distributes these reports to the Town Supervisor, Town Board, facilities operators/supervisors and Town Engineer;
- Attends monthly Town Board meetings at the request of the Town Supervisor and/or the Town Board to present reports and to respond to questions;
- Confers with facilities operators/supervisors and the Town Engineer in the preparation of requisitions and specifications for materials, supplies and outside services for each district and the railroad station parking lot;
- Corresponds with manufacturers, vendors, supply firms and contractors to obtain information and equipment and supply items required for operation and maintenance of each district;
- Responds to questions and investigates complaints from the public and citizens served by the improvement districts and railroad station parking lot;
- Issues permits to private plumbers for making taps to water and sewer lines after conferring with facilities operators/supervisors and the Town Engineer;
- Performs a variety of related activities as required.
Typical Work Activities are intended only as illustrations of possible types of work that might be appropriately assigned to an incumbent of this title. Work activities that do not appear above are not excluded as appropriate work assignments, as long as they can be reasonably understood to be within the logical limits of the job.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Thorough knowledge of administrative theory and practices; ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with groups and individuals; ability to maintain good public relations; tact; initiative; resourcefulness; good judgment.
Qualifications to be determined by the Town Board.
Exempt Class - Towns of Patterson, Putnam Valley, Southeast/Philipstown PJC