DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This is routine technical work requiring inspections of real property and building structures involving authorized land usage for compliance with local zoning ordinances. General supervision is received from the Town Supervisor and Town Board. Works cooperatively with the Building Inspector, as appropriate. Performs related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative only)
- Performs field inspections of real property and building structures concerning authorized land usage for compliance with local codes and zoning ordinances;
- Performs field inspections to ascertain whether new construction is in accordance with local zoning ordinances;
- Investigates complaints concerning property owners who may be in violation of Town codes and/or ordinance;
- Issues violations to property owners who are not in compliance with Town codes and/or ordinance;
- Explains the requirements of the Town Zoning Law to contractors and the general public;
- Assists in preparing cases for prosecution for non‑compliance and appears in court as necessary;
- Seeks compliance to Town Ordinances through personal contact with owners of property prior to violation notices being issued;
- Maintains records and makes reports of department activities;
- Answers inquiries regarding zoning regulations and assists the public with explanations of codes and ordinances;
- May review building permit applications, signage permit applications, rental registration applications, and similar, for compliance with zoning codes and regulations, and advise non-compliant applicants about seeking appropriate variances, exceptions, etc.;
- May collect fees and keep accounts for monies received;
- May conduct necessary research such as reviewing tax maps and lot numbers in the tax assessor's office and other offices, as required;
- Performs a variety of related activities as required.
Typical Work Activities are intended only as illustrations of possible types of work that might be appropriately assigned to an incumbent of this title. Work activities that do not appear above are not excluded as appropriate work assignments, as long as they can be reasonably understood to be within the logical limits of the job.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Thorough knowledge of the local zoning ordinances; working knowledge of office terminology, procedures and equipment; ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with contractors, public officials and the public; ability to obtain field measurements of real property and structures; ability to read maps, plans and specifications; ability to communicate both orally and in writing; good powers of observation; tact and courtesy.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Either
- Graduation from high school or possession of a comparable diploma and one (1) year experience in building construction or position requiring familiarity with building and/or zoning ordinances; or
- Five (5) years experience in building construction or position requiring familiarity with building and/or zoning ordinances; or
- An equivalent combination of training and experience as indicated in (a) and (b) above.
10/86; 9/97; 2/99; 4/06; 2/10
[Non-Competitive PT, Towns]