DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: Work involves responsibility for observation, supervision and evaluation of all drivers, for planning bus routes, making driver assignments and distributing work to all transportation personnel. Additional duties include all phases of driver training. Work is performed under supervision of the Transportation Supervisor in accordance with established policies and procedures. Immediate supervision is exercised over School Bus Drivers and School Bus Aides. Performs related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative only)
- Observation and supervision of all drivers;
- Obtains information necessary to formulate and coordinate bus routes in the most economical fashion;
- Assigns School Bus Drivers and vehicles to routes;
- Trains all drivers in accordance with the provisions of Article 19A of the New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law;
- Maintains records pertaining to the bus operation including trip records and transportation reports including accident reports;
- Acts as liaison between School Bus Drivers, Mechanics and supervisory personnel;
- Assists in preparing transportation budget estimates and recommendations;
- Conducts classes as required by state regulation and the Supervisor of Transportation;
- Establishes good public relations with parents and organizations such as the local police and State DOT and handles any complaints regarding transportation;
- May operate a bus on an assigned route;
- Performs a variety of related activities as required.
Typical Work Activities are intended only as illustrations of possible types of work that might be appropriately assigned to an incumbent of this title. Work activities that do not appear above are not excluded as appropriate work assignments, as long as they can be reasonably understood to be within the logical limits of the job.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Good knowledge of the operation of buses; good knowledge of the geography of the district; good knowledge of safety procedures and traffic laws and regulations; ability to plan and supervise the work of others; ability to get along well with others; dependability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Either
- Graduation from high school or possession of a comparable diploma and three (3) years of paid experience in the operation of automotive equipment; or
- Graduation from high school or possession of a comparable diploma and two (2) of paid experience in the operation of automotive equipment, one (1) year of which involved experience with supervision or dispatching of drivers; or
- An equivalent combination of training and experience as described in a) and b) above.
- Must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age at the time of appointment.
- Eligibility for the appropriate level New York State Drivers License at the time of application
- Possession of a Commercial Driver's License (CDL), Class B with Passenger and Airbrake Endorsements issued by the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles at time of appointment.
- Must satisfy the requirements for School Bus Driver set forth in the Rules and Regulations of the New York State Commissioners of Education and Motor Vehicles.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT FOR APPOINTMENT IN SCHOOL DISTRICTS: In accordance with the Safe Schools Against Violence in Education (SAVE) legislation, Chapter 180 of the Laws of 2000, and by the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education, candidates for appointment in school districts must obtain clearance for employment from the State Education Department prior to employment based upon a fingerprint and criminal history background check.
2/86; 10/97; 1/09