DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This is manual work involving responsibility for directing and participating in the work of a crew in the proper and efficient completion of a variety of projects, including construction, maintenance, and repair of highways, roads, and bridges, and/or parks facilities, conservation areas, greenspaces, bikepaths, and other areas. Work is carried out in accordance with established policies and procedures and involves responsibility for efficiency and economy in use of personnel, materials and equipment. General supervision is provided by higher level staff through inspections, discussions and reports, with wide leeway allowed for the exercise of independent judgment in carrying out the details of the work. While supervision is exercised over the work of Road Maintenance Equipment Operators and other subordinate staff, incumbents participate fully in the work or the crew. Performs related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative only)
When Assigned to Highway Department:
- Directs highway crew and participates in snow and ice removal and control operations;
- Plans and estimates material requirements and schedules delivery of equipment and materials to job sites;
- Ensures that safety precautions for employees and public are exercised and adhered to at all times;
- Instructs subordinates in the proper use of equipment and materials;
- Prepares timesheets and activity, progress and cost reports and records;
- Assists in the planning, scheduling, and participates in construction projects, including, but not limited to, construction of roads and reconstruction of existing roads, blacktopping, concrete catchbasins, water and sewer lines, drainage structures, grading, culverts, driveway pipes, building construction, excavating and site preparation;
- Assists in planning, scheduling and participates in construction projects on bridges, including, but not limited to, setting and bolting structural steel, forming concrete footings, abutments, decks and curbs, placing reinforcement steel, pouring and finishing concrete, setting bridge railings, stripping forms and finishing concrete, painting structural steel railings;
- Assists in planning, scheduling and participates in reconstruction of bridges, including, but not limited to, dismantling old superstructures, abutments and footings, excavating new footings and abutments, operating pumps for removing water, building forms for footings and abutments, setting subforms, installing reinforcement steel, pouring concrete, stripping forms and finishing concrete;
- Performs a variety of related activities as required.
When Assigned to Parks or Recreation Department, duties also include:
- Directs highway and/or park crew and participates in activities of the crew;
- Operates all equipment, including trucks, tractors, construction equipment, mowers, chain saws, etc.
- Ensures that equipment and tools are working properly, routinely maintained, and are safe and adequate for the job;
- Participates in and assists in planning, scheduling and participates in the building and grounds maintenance of parks facilities, conservation areas, greenspaces, and bikepaths, including but not limited to lawn care, building maintenance, janitorial, tree removal and replanting, painting, and floral area maintenance;
- Participates in and assists in planning, scheduling and participates in construction projects at parks or conservation areas, including but not limited to park buildings, hiking trails, park amenities (picnic tables, benches, kiosks, signage, etc.), cart paths, fences and gates, playgrounds, beaches and swimming areas;
- Assists in the coordination of work crews working at various locations, including but not limited to mechanics, farm staff, park rangers, park laborers, building maintenance personnel, office personnel, lifeguards, and seasonal staff;
- Assists in the coordination with contractors working on various jobs;
- Assists in the planning and scheduling of setup, maintenance and cleanup of special events;
- Performs a variety of related activities as required.
Typical Work Activities are intended only as illustrations of possible types of work that might be appropriately assigned to an incumbent of this title. Work activities that do not appear above are not excluded as appropriate work assignments, as long as they can be reasonably understood to be within the logical limits of the job.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Good knowledge of modern highway and bridge construction methods and procedures; good knowledge of equipment, materials, tools, terminology and safety precautions as applied in highway construction, bridge construction, building construction, snow removal and ice control; good knowledge of basic landscaping techniques; ability to read and understand sketches, blueprints and complex plans relating to highway, bridge and building construction; ability to plan, organize and direct the work of others; ability to understand and carry out complex written and oral directions; ability to prepare construction cost estimates, progress and activity reports; ability to maintain accurate progress and activity records; ability to prepare and maintain activity and progress reports and records; ability to communicate effectively with the public; initiative; resourcefulness.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Either
- Graduation from high school or possession of a comparable diploma and four (4) years of experience in highway, bridge, road, and/or park maintenance and construction, two (2) years of which must have involved responsibility for planning and directing work; or
- Six (6) years of experience in highway, bridge, road, and/or park maintenance and construction, three (3) years of which must have involved responsibility for planning and directing work; or
- An equivalent combination of training and experience as described in a) and b) above.
- Possession of a valid Commercial Drivers License (CDL) (with endorsement if required) at the time of appointment and throughout the term of employment in this position;
- Assignment to this position at County Park may require Master Gardener Training Certificate within two years of appointment.
4/98; 7/99; 3/05; 1/09; 10/18; 7/21; 8/21