The Putnam County Department of Public Works is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Automotive Mechanic.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES: This is skilled work involving responsibility for the complete overhaul and repair of a wide variety of automotive equipment including heavy duty equipment such as bulldozers and graders. General instructions are received regarding tasks to be performed permitting considerable leeway in planning the details of each assignment. Performs related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Performs skilled operations in repairing and overhauling gasoline and diesel motor equipment including trucks, buses, tractors, graders, bulldozers and power shovels;
- Repairs or replaces water pumps, fuel pumps, generators, carburetors and shock absorbers;
- Assembles and times engines;
- Mounts and detaches snow plow blades and other auxiliary equipment;
- Repairs or overhauls ignition systems, transmissions, brake systems, clutches and axles;
- Adjusts connecting rods and bearings;
- Straightens frames and fenders;
- Adjusts steering mechanisms and aligns wheels;
- Repairs and maintains auxiliary equipment on trucks, graders and rollers;
- May operate electric or acetylene welding and cutting equipment;
- May be assigned to back up Lead or Head Automotive Mechanic;
- Performs a variety of related activities as required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Two (2) years of experience as a skilled automotive mechanic.
- Possession of a Commercial Driver License valid in New York State appropriate to the type 0and size of equipment being operated.
- Access to transportation may be required to complete possible field work assignments in a timely and efficient manner.
SALARY RANGE: $59,595 - $72,829 per year
SCHEDULE: Full-Time, Monday through Friday, 8-hour shift
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
Applications and resumes may be submitted to the Putnam County Personnel Department by mail or email:
Putnam County Personnel Department
110 Old Route 6, Bldg 3
Carmel NY, 10512
PUTNAM COUNTY – AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER