This is a Competitive position under New York State Civil Service Law. Per NYS Civil Service Law any appointment to this position will be made on a Provisional basis, pending the future administration of a Civil Service examination.
The Putnam County Department of Planning, Development and Public Transportation is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Soil and Water Conservation District Manager.
This is an administrative position responsible for coordinating and supervising the Putnam County Soil & Water Conservation District (SWCD) programs. The work includes both administrative and technical planning of environmental and conservation programs. Such programs involve both private and public properties and entities in all aspects of natural resource management. Work is performed under State and Federal laws and guidelines as well as established District policies and procedures. Supervision is exercised over both technical and clerical District employees and with partners. Work is performed at the direction of the Putnam County Soil and Water Conservation District Board and may be tasked with other duties and responsibilities under the supervision of the Commissioner of Planning, Development and Public Transportation as prescribed and tasked by the Commissioner. Performs related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Supervises all aspects of Putnam County’s Soil and Water Conservation District programs including conservation planning, coordinated site reviews, and cost share programs with landowners and municipalities;
- Supervises and directs the work of SWCD personnel;
- Provides technical assistance to landowners and government agencies involving evaluation, layout, survey design, cost estimates, contract preparation, construction inspection, and supervision of best management practices regarding environmental conservation projects;
- Participates in and may function as the representative of the SWCD and the District Board at various meetings of cooperating agencies, organizations & municipalities;
- Coordinates and works with all partners to achieve conservation and education goals as outlined by the SWCD Board;
- Prepares natural resource conservation plans, conducts site reviews, and prepares GIS maps;
- Prepares all information and annual reports required by State agencies, and state and federal grants;
- Assists in the preparation of the district’s budget;
- Performs general administrative duties involving general office routines and procedures including board reports;
- Writes grant proposals, negotiates and implements contracts, and writes final reports on grant funding;
- Develops funding proposals for programs furthering the goals of the conservation district;
- Collects data, prepares surveys, maps and specifications of potential conservation projects;
- Acts as the contracting officer in the negotiating of contracts for environmental projects between the district, landowner, governmental units and construction contractors;
- Monitors and reviews the progress towards project completion and recommends payment for work completed;
- Coordinates public information, education, and relations activities and explains the purposes, functions and programs of the District to interested individuals, groups, and affected audiences, specifically the prevention of soil erosion and the value of soil conservation;
- Recommends actions to be taken by the board of directors concerning landowners and others requesting assistance, and provides the Board with information needed for decision making;
- Oversees and directs Climate Smart Conservation efforts within Putnam County;
- Acts as Coordinator of public, private and municipal dams, to inventory, rate and educate landowners on the risks and assist in the access to grants for the hazardous mitigation of dams within Putnam County;
- Coordinates and provides technical assistance to various boards for conservation efforts, and to promote Tilly Foster Farm and agriculture in Putnam County;
- Attends local, state and national conferences and conventions representing Putnam County;
- Performs a variety of related activities as required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Either
- Bachelor’s degree, or higher, in the Physical Sciences, Civil Engineering, Environmental Studies, Agriculture, Natural Resource Conservation or a related field, and four (4) years of experience in soil and water conservation, agriculture, soil science, forestry, engineering, land use planning, or closely related fields; or
- Associate’s degree in the Physical Sciences, Civil Technology, Environmental Studies, Agriculture, Natural Resource Conservation or a related field, and six (6) years of experience in soil and water conservation, agriculture, soil science, forestry, engineering, land use planning, or closely related fields; or
- Bachelor’s degree, or higher, and six (6) years of experience in soil and water conservation, agriculture, soil science, forestry, engineering, land use planning, or closely related fields; or
- An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of a), b), and c) above.
- A valid NYS Driver’s License required, AND
- Must be able to safely lift up to fifty pounds, AND
- Successful completion of a Civil Service Examination required; examination to be announced at a later date